Thursday, May 12, 2011

Loaves and Fishes and Human Attitudes

Ok, so here it is:  I'm 28 years old and have known him for 20 years and I promise I never realized that Jesus fed 5,000 and then turned right around and fed 4,000.  Seriously.

I wonder if this isn't because because we are slightly less impressed.  I mean, in the first miracle Jesus fed 5,000 men (plus women and children) with five loaves of bread and two fishes and there were 12 baskets of leftovers.  (Feel like you're about to work a standardized math test word problem?) In the second miracle he fed 4,000 men (plus women and children) with seven loaves and a few small fishes and there were only seven baskets of leftovers.

I'm no expert, and I'm certainly no mathematician (stop laughing, Mom!) but it looks to me like the second miracle was "less than" the first.  I mean, more food to feed less people with less leftovers?  What's up with that?  Did Jesus get tired after feeding the first crowd?

I kid, I kid...but don't you think that somewhere in our human hearts we are prone to this kind of thinking?  I know that sometimes I am so busy (like the Pharisees) seeking a miraculous sign that I miss the pretty awesome things that the Lord does under my nose (feeding 4,000) because I'm waiting for Him to feed 5,000.  And instead of praising him for feeding 4,000-I'm also prone to whining that he didn't do what he did before.  I'm pretty human-just saying...

Here's another thought-what if Jesus only fed 4,000 the second time around because that's all that showed up?  The more I give Him, the bigger He can be in my life-right?

Six chapters left in Matthew-can't wait to see what else He has for me and get on to the other gospels!

My new favorite salutation:
Let's stand firm together in Him. 

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your blogs. I myself have recently started going back to church along with my husband and we are overwhelmed at all the blessings we have gained - or maybe they were there all along. The Lord is awesome and I struggle daily to be a good Christian and it's the hardest "job" I've ever had but with His guidance I feel like I can get through anything. Please keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! It's amazing to keep track of ways the Lord works in our lives and write down the things He shows me...I miss my blog! I work full time in the summer directing a summer youth camp-so I don't have the luxury of blogging during my girl's nap time! I'll be back on real soon. :)

    Keep running after Him and he will make you new every day!

    ReplyDelete